Essentials for Anyone Who is Considering Adopting a New Puppy
The day you bring a new puppy or dog into your home is a red letter day indeed. It may be an exhausting one for you. It certainly will be for him. This is also one of the most critical moments in your relationship, because first impressions are indelibly marked on the animal mind. It is vital to establish from the beginning an atmosphere of security, affection, and mutual confidence. In short, the goal is to make your dog feel at home.
Your puppy will come to you with no worldly goods at all, so you must provide him with his first essential possessions;
- A bed, slightly larger than your dog
- A blanket, again slightly larger than needed
- A water bowl, (stainless steel or earthenware, but not glazed pottery, which contains lead that is poisonous to dogs)
- A light puppy collar with an identification tag, leather is best, flat for short-haired breeds, round for long haired
- A leather leash with a strong clip fastener
- A comb and brush, the canine kind, (suitable to his breed)
- A squeaky toy
- A chewing toy of rawhide or a nylon or both
- A hard rubber ball (Big enough so that he cannot swallow it, but light enough for him to carry around in his mouth)
- Finally, and most important of all, a name
These are just some of the items you should have on hand when considering adopting a new pet. Always remember to get your dogs spayed or neutered to help control the pet population.